I’m all for keeping recipes easy, quick and unfussy and this fits the bill. My eldest daughter asked me to make it as I haven’t for a while and thought would share it as it’s obviously passed the taste test.
If you don’t eat meat it’s easy to do a separate curry with the same ingredients, and just leave the chicken out – use about 300g of the lentils and vegetable stock.
Chicken and green lentil curry
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
You will need…
2 tablespoons olive oil
400g organic chicken breasts cut into 1 cm pieces
100-150g dried green lentils
1 good sized onion
2 teaspoons garam masala
1 teaspoon turmeric
half a teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon grated ginger
2 cloves of garlic crushed or finely chopped
1 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
200ml chicken stock
2 tablespoons organic Greek yogurt
Basmati rice or cauliflower rice
- Heat the olive oil and fry the onions and garlic for about 5 minutes on a medium heat.
- Add all the spices, keep stirring so they don’t stick to the bottom of the pan.
- After about a minute or two add the chicken pieces and keep stirring until the outside of the chicken is sealed.
- Add the lentils, chopped tomatoes and chicken stock and cook for 25 minutes stirring every so often.
- Cook the rice or cauliflower rice during this time.
- Check the lentils are cooked through – if still a little hard cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Add two tablespoons of yogurt to the curry stir well and serve with rice and poppadoms and coriander.